Seventeen Great Ways to Enhance Your Brain
It is common for people to forget facts and figures, or fail to remember names, places, and personalities; yet science has proven that the human brain is capable of retaining extraordinary magnitude of information.
There was an individual who remembered the answers to all questions in the game Trivial Pursuit. Russian journalist Shereshevsky, credited with having a perfect brain, could listen to a speech once and reproduce it verbatim. If they have the potential to maximize their brain, so can you! Here are several ways to enhance the power of your brain.
Eat To Enhance Your Brain
Nutrition experts say that people can eat for a better brain. A poor brain is often a symptom of other imbalances and is usually accompanied by fatigue, poor concentration, and irritability. It gets worse during times of stress (after an accident, for example) or during periods of chronic pain. When your body or mind is challenged, your brain tends to work less efficiently. To maintain a well-nourished brain, do the following:
1. Eat small, frequent meals to keep blood sugar levels constant. Blood sugar or glucose is what fuels the brain. If you miss meals, blood sugar levels drop. As a result, your brain and concentration levels fall because your brain cells are starved.
2. Avoid sugary, refined foods that send surges of blood sugar to the brain.
3. Include a little protein with each meal to stabilize blood sugar.
4. Eat fish, it really is brain food. The essential fatty acids benefit the nervous system and brain function.
5. Cut down on caffeine. It strips the body of nutrients, upsets blood sugar levels, and has been shown to lower IQ.
6. Reduce alcohol intake. Heavy drinking damages the nervous system, enhances the absorption of lead - the most potent brain killer there is - and drains the body of nutrients such as zinc, which protects the brain from lead poisoning.
Supplements that Enhance Your Brain
Nutritional supplements can be a useful brain-enhancing addition to a well-balanced diet when you have lots of things to remember or a heavy period of study ahead.
7. Choline is important for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which is responsible for brain function. Scientists have found that low levels of acetylcholine are linked to brain loss and Alzheimer's disease. Choline is found in soya beans and eggs. Supplements are available.
8. Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is needed to convert choline into acetylcholine. This vitamin is found in eggs, cereals, and brown rice.
9. Vitamin B3 is a vasodilator that helps gets oxygen to the brain. This vitamin is found in eggs and wholegrain cereals.
10. Glutamine, an amino acid, is the only other fuel on which the brain can run apart from glucose. It is found in protein-rich foods such as meat and eggs.
11. Gingko Biloba is a herb that enhances oxygen flow to the brain. Numerous clinical trials have proved it beneficial in improving brain functions and helping to prevent and slow down the effects of senile dementia.
12. Antioxidants, especially vitamins C, E, beta-carotene, zinc and selenium, prevent oxidated damage in the brain. Research has found that in patients with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease, there is a high level of oxidated damage in the brain.
Activities to Enhance Your Brain
Constantly learn new skills that stretch your mental abilities and keep you interested.
13. Do puzzles and crosswords. Play mentally challenging games like chess.
14. Listen to classical music. Californian research shows that people who listen to Mozart can perform reasoning tests more quickly and accurately than those who work in silence.
15. Use all your senses to remember new people or absorb new information.
16. Use your imagination. It is your most valuable learning tool.
17. Develop your awareness. When you pay more attention to the details in your life, it becomes richer and more exciting, which naturally enhances your brain.